Recipe courtesy Rendezvous restaurant. Makes 10-12 large fish cakes.
1 large filet of fresh Bluefish
1/2 cup panko breadcrumbs
1 medium onion, diced
1 large jalapeno pepper, seeded & diced
2 tbsp. fresh lemon juice
1/4 cup good mayonnaise
1 tbsp. Worcestershire sauce
1 tsp. cayenne pepper
1 tsp. paprika (smoked if you have it)
1 tbsp. + 1 tsp. mustard powder
A good sprinkling of salt and freshly cracked black pepper
Olive oil and unsalted butter for cooking
- Start by cooking the bluefish filets. Salt and pepper the fish on both sides and heat enough olive oil to coat the bottom of a medium saute pan over medium heat.
- Once the pan heats up, place the fish filets skin side down in the pan and cook them until the sides begin to turn opaque. When the skin will lift off of the pan, flip the bluefish over and cook for just around another minute, then move the filets to a plate to let them rest.
- Once the fish has rested and cooled a little, remove the skin and flake in a large mixing bowl Be gentle with the meat though, and try to leave some larger pieces in the mix.
- Cook the onion and jalapeno pepper in the pan the fish was cooked in (add in a little extra oil as needs be) until the vegetables are translucent. Add to the fish, along with the breadcrumbs, mayo, Worcestershire, cayenne, paprika, mustard pepper and salt and pepper. Gently fold the ingredients together until fairly uniformly combined. Lastly add in the egg and lemon juice and again, gently fold.
- Lightly form into uniform rounds. Cook them in a little butter and olive oil on each side until an even crust develops. Serve with remoulade (recipe follows)
1/2 cup mayonnaise
1 tbsp. cayenne pepper
1 tbsp. fresh lemon juice
1 tbsp. Dijon (or any other) mustard
2 tbsp. dill pickles – finely chopped
1 tsp. caper juice
1 tsp. seasoned salt
Mix all ingredients well in a mixing bowl and serve along-side the cakes with lemon