Recipe adapted from CindaLou’s Healthy Kitchen. Serves 4.
5-6 fresh Roma tomatoes, roughly chopped
1 – 28 oz. can crushed tomatoes
Olive oil or butter, for cooking
1/2″ fresh ginger root, minced
6-10 garlic cloves, crushed & minced
1 each green and red bell pepper, diced
1/4 c. red wine vinegar
4 silver hake fillets
Fresh lime or lemon juice
1 red onion, sliced
2 fresh peaches, sliced
Sherry vinegar & extra virgin olive oil
Spices to taste:
sea salt, pepper, turmeric, a dash cayenne pepper, 5-6 sprigs fresh cilantro, a hearty sprinkle of fresh or dried dill, and fresh parsley
- Blend fresh and canned tomatoes with the fresh tomatoes for about 1 minute in a food processor.
- Add to the tomatoes: ginger, half of the garlic, and red wine vinegar, and pulse for another minute or two or until well combined. Set the sauce aside.
- Saute the peppers in some olive oil until slightly softened. Add the remaining garlic and saute another 1-2 minutes, or until lightly browned.
- Turn heat on the pan to medium and add the pureed tomato mixture. Bring to a simmer, and season to taste with desired spices.
- Add the hake fillets to the pan and cook, covered, for 10-12 minutes or until the fish is thoroughly cooked and flakes easily with a fork. Squeeze some lemon or lime juice into the pan and gently stir to finish.
- Serve hot with sliced onion and peaches on the side, drizzled with extra virgin olive oil and sherry vinegar.
Serving Suggestion: Add some roasted red peppers to the onion and peach “salad” for a little more depth of flavor.