Recipe courtesy of the Rusty Scupper restaurant, Baltimore, MD. Serves 2.
12 sea scallops
½ cup of blackening seasoning*
1 lb spinach
1 large sweet potato—cut julienne style
2 tbsp olive oil
¼ cup white wine
1 tsp salt
1 tsp pepper
1 cup whipping cream
1 tbsp Dijon mustard
1 tbsp grain mustard
1 tbsp dry mustard
4 oz butter
1. Cut sweet potatoes julienne-style.
2. In sauté pan, heat oil to smoking point.
3. Preheat over to 350 degrees.
4. Dredge scallops in blackening seasoning and place in hot pan; turn scallops to other side after seared.
6. After cooking on both sides, place in 350 degree oven for 5 minutes.
7. In separate pan, heat and reduce cream to thick and add mustards and stir in butter. Set aside mustard sauce.
8. Add spinach, wine and salt and pepper to the pan. Cook until spinach is wilted. Side aside.
9. Fry julienne sweet potatoes. Set aside.
10. Pour mustard sauce on 4 plates. Place spinach in center and arrange 3 scallops around the spinach. Place sweet potatoes on spinach and serve immediately.
* Blackening seasoning can be purchased pre-made, or made at home with a mixture of paprika, salt, garlic powder, onion powder, cayenne & black peppers, dried thyme and oregano.